Howards

We must decrease, so He can increase.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Life-changing

We just recently returned from our Middle School Service Project to Czech Republic. I believe this was a life-changing experience for all involved. I, myself have been on several mission trips over the years, and yet I have never experienced what I saw in Czech. Hunter and I experienced this Eastern European country in a very different way. We had a first hand look at life in Chrastava. While the teens and adults worked intensely hard each day, Hunter and I spent our time doing more relational ministry and trying to get to know the people in the church. I would serve alongside the women from the church, cleaning, entertaining the young kids, and serving the meals and snacks. Some of the women could speak a little German and some barely English and other nothing besides their native tongues.

Each night the teens and adult leaders would retire to the local elementary school for dinner, small groups and eventually a sleeping bag on the hardwood floor. Hunter and I were given the opportunity to stay with a young, single woman from the church in her flat. The first night we pulled into the parking lot and I nervously felt like I was in an old movie. The high-rise cement buildings, typically associated with Communist construction, were situated side by side by side and surrounded by pubs and many dark alleyways. As we walked in I noticed people hanging out the windows to cool off, or shout at people below, or just watch. I later came to realize, in daylight, this is probably where many of the professionals lived. The flat, which was situated up four flights of stairs was very small and dark and filled with noise from the courtyard below. We entered into the laundry room/entryway/closet area, which also had a bathroom in it. To the right and the left were 2 small rooms. The room to the left is where our host slept; this room contained a kitchenette of sorts. Hunter and I were placed in the room to the right. It amazed me as I looked around to realize that many times families were also living in something similar. The mattress consisted of a sheet of plywood and 2 foam cushions, all atop legs, which was surprisingly ok. We then went to the bathroom to shower off in a 6 inch deep shower basin, which required awkwardly using the sink faucet as the shower head. That night as I laid in bed and was almost asleep, it began to rain, the rain came in through the window over the bed and "plip, plopped" on my head; after countless attempts to close the window, I resigned to just sliding my pillow further down the bed. I realized at this moment how blessed I am. It took me a few days, but I became completely humbled when I realized our host had given up her bedroom for us to have more privacy and comfort, while she slept on the sofa.

My heart was profoundly touched by their acts of service; as we worked alongside and many times no words being said, but such a bond of Christ love was evident. The people from the church cooked for us and picked up after us, so we would be free to serve the Community as a whole. When it was time to say goodbyes it was amazing to see the connections made in a few short days. The pastor with tears in his eyes, as if we were family invited Chris and I to come again. Another woman whom I had worked with all week, yet had very few conversations, came up to say goodbye to me and with tears in her eyes hugged me and said something in Russian.

I will not forget the numerous lessons learned, the numbers of friends made, and how God used a small community in Czech to touch our community in Hohenfels with such profound impact. I will never forget the faces of the brothers and sisters in Christ and how they looked when 25 American teens came to build a playground, just to bless their community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home